THE MODERN MINT BLOG
Struggling to find a gift that is actually decent, for the gardener or garden lover in your life?
Here are some ideas that, I hope, tap into what a gardener really will appreciate… rather than the tut you might get in M & S (I’m looking with angry, disappointed eyes at you, M & S copper plated trowel that you can purchase for not much money that looks good but lasts for no time and is a pile of dog mess to use…. to put it lightly….)
- Our tools – snips, secateurs, Diggy Diggy trowel, slug-repellant trowel, shears. Okay, okay – now we’ve got that over with. We sell stuff we stand by, that we use in the garden. We’re done now ok? You can carry on down the list and find something else that we don’t have a hand in on this website.
- Boots – got to have a good pair of boots in the garden. We wear these from Portuguese Treasures. The working boot. Soles are recycled from old car tyres. This wonderful nod towards recycling something useful to lower the carbon footprint is offset somewhat by the plane journey they send the boots on to reach you in the UK. But it is a start…. and the boots will last you.
- Books – Henk Gerritsen wrote ‘Essay On Gardening’ and it is a masterpiece. Tough to get hold of though, admittedly. We also love this one by Barn The Spoon, or this book about ‘Late Summer Flowers’ by the wonderful nurserywoman Marina Christopher. You can also try ‘Feral’ by George Monbiot.
- Rapanui shirts – organic cotton. Sustainable fashion is good for the planet, these shirts are thick and well-made. Perfect for the garden.
- Trees For Life – give the gift of a future.
- Truffle Hunting In Dorset – this one is a little bit special! Truffle hunting with dogs, here in the UK. Bit more expensive, but hey, make a weekend of it!
- Organic wine – we recommend… drinking. =)
- Riverford Organic Vegetable Box – if you don’t have time or space to grow all your own vegetables, then get a delivery every week. We love Riverford and we know that by eating organic food, we are also supporting a landscape that enhances life.
- Trip to a brilliant nursery – like this one, Marchant’s Hardy Plants, perhaps in the New Year when you can enjoy their Snowdrop Day.
- Bokashi – oh? You don’t know Bokashi? Me either, at least, I’ve never tried it yet. But I do know people who love to Bokashi their food waste and it all looks good. You basically pickle your leftover dinner and unused vegetables, then chuck it on the garden where it helps improve the soil. Something that will be massive in years to come. We hope.
So there you go, ten ideas for Christmas presents for the gardener in your life. (And as a bonus, try this if you know a beekeeper…. Hive Tool for Beekeepers.)
What I love are great tools and products that have an eco-friendly, sustainable aspect to them. This might be the amazing Hori-Hori (the Japanese version of a garden trowel) a Nunki weeder or even a Tarp Hat for gardening. But what I can’t do is have absolutely everything here online, or in our stock room. Where I live just isn’t big enough. Plus Modern Mint is only me, with occasional help, so I really do have to make sure I am only offering you keen gardeners the very best tools. This way, you are happy and come back and buy more …
My name is Darren Lerigo and I make and maintain topiary like this here in the UK. Organic shaped hedges and ‘Big Bird’ in the background I work for a range of people across many different gardens, but the majority of my clients are people who: Are keen garden lovers Want something fun or extraordinary in their garden Are keen on design, or are artists and creatives in their own right Understand their current garden and shrubs can be given a makeover and improved Have just had a garden design done and need a professional hand to maintain the new evergreens …
My name is Darren Lerigo. I am a gardener and topiary artist and I provide garden talks for clubs all over the UK. If you are a speaker finder in need of a talk, then please do get in touch. But please note this is a short introduction to my talks. For full information, go to Garden Club Speaker For Your Group. With my talks, I hope to: Provide your group with something interesting, informative and fun. Make your life as easy as possible. I will do this by turning up on time, bringing equipment that works, making sure the …