THE MODERN MINT BLOG
My name is Darren Lerigo. I am a gardener and topiary artist and I provide garden talks for clubs all over the UK.
With my talks, I hope to:
- Provide your group with something interesting, informative and fun.
- Make your life as easy as possible. I will do this by turning up on time, bringing equipment that works, making sure the fee and travel expenses are good value for your group and giving a talk that makes your group happy they have come to see it.
- Speak as lightly and clearly as possible, without making it a dry lecture.
- Do my best to cover at the last minute, if your speaker is unable to make the talk.
Here is a small selection of what people say about my talks:
“Many thanks for a great talk (as usual!) I have had 26 emails today saying how much they enjoyed your talk.” Langham Beekeepers
“Thank you so much, it was an excellent presentation which everyone enjoyed very much.
I think you passion for gardening shone through and you delivered your talk with great fluency, humour and knowledge. Everyone I spoke to afterwards was very impressed.
Perhaps you could send me details of your other talks and which date you would prefer?” Holywell and Needingworth Garden Club
“Everyone enjoyed your talk. There was quite a buzz!” Oddfellows Group, Suffolk
I have extensive experience, giving over 50 talks per year, as well as speaking at Blenheim Palace and The National Flower Show, running topiary workshops, leading garden tours and for EBKA giving the Ted Hooper Memorial Lecture.
- What Do I Do With This Space? (Ideas on garden design and maintenance)
- Diluted (How to cope with excessive heat and a lack of rain on our gardens)
- Cool Tools (Presenting the best tools to use in the garden)
- Helping The Honeybee (Sharing the very best garden plants for bees)
- A Very British Garden (I am still writing this talk. Contact me for more information!)
Talks are 50-60 minutes plus q&a. I can provide my own projector.
Cost of My Talks
My speaker fee is £95 for groups and clubs.
Concessions are available for smaller clubs of 25 people or less.
Travel expenses can be discussed, but I travel all over the UK to speak and will do my best to make this cost manageable for both your group and myself.
Who I Talk To
- Gardening Clubs
- Horticultural Societies
- Beekeeper Groups
- Allotment Societies
- Church Groups
- Anyone else who needs an entertaining, informative speaker!
“Thank you so much Darren. Your talk was much appreciated and enjoyed by our members.” Benfleet Horticultural Society
To book a talk or to find out more, please do contact me now.
What I love are great tools and products that have an eco-friendly, sustainable aspect to them. This might be the amazing Hori-Hori (the Japanese version of a garden trowel) a Nunki weeder or even a Tarp Hat for gardening. But what I can’t do is have absolutely everything here online, or in our stock room. Where I live just isn’t big enough. Plus Modern Mint is only me, with occasional help, so I really do have to make sure I am only offering you keen gardeners the very best tools. This way, you are happy and come back and buy more …
My name is Darren Lerigo and I make and maintain topiary like this here in the UK. Organic shaped hedges and ‘Big Bird’ in the background I work for a range of people across many different gardens, but the majority of my clients are people who: Are keen garden lovers Want something fun or extraordinary in their garden Are keen on design, or are artists and creatives in their own right Understand their current garden and shrubs can be given a makeover and improved Have just had a garden design done and need a professional hand to maintain the new evergreens …
I do lots of garden talks. Around 50 per year, travelling across the country sharing my knowledge and thoughts on how to garden in our changing climate, to groups who want to know something new. It is exceptionally enjoyable and, I think, experience has made me a much better speaker. So much so that people seem to find it fun too…. “Thank you so much for your great talk last night. Not only was it interesting and something I don’t think any of us have thought about before, but it was very entertaining. Our treasurer has already emailed me today …