THE MODERN MINT BLOG
My name is Darren Lerigo. I am a gardener and topiary artist and I provide garden talks for clubs all over the UK.
With my talks, I hope to:
- Provide your group with something interesting, informative and fun.
- Make your life as easy as possible. I will do this by turning up on time, bringing equipment that works, making sure the fee and travel expenses are good value for your group and giving a talk that makes your group happy they have come to see it.
- Speak as lightly and clearly as possible, without making it a dry lecture.
- Do my best to cover at the last minute, if your speaker is unable to make the talk.
Here is a small selection of what people say about my talks:
“Many thanks for a great talk (as usual!) I have had 26 emails today saying how much they enjoyed your talk.” Langham Beekeepers
“Thank you so much, it was an excellent presentation which everyone enjoyed very much.
I think you passion for gardening shone through and you delivered your talk with great fluency, humour and knowledge. Everyone I spoke to afterwards was very impressed.
Perhaps you could send me details of your other talks and which date you would prefer?” Holywell and Needingworth Garden Club
“Everyone enjoyed your talk. There was quite a buzz!” Oddfellows Group, Suffolk
I have extensive experience, giving over 50 talks per year, as well as speaking at Blenheim Palace and The National Flower Show, running topiary workshops, leading garden tours and for EBKA giving the Ted Hooper Memorial Lecture.
- What Do I Do With This Space? (Ideas on garden design and maintenance)
- Diluted (How to cope with excessive heat and a lack of rain on our gardens)
- Cool Tools (Presenting the best tools to use in the garden)
- Helping The Honeybee (Sharing the very best garden plants for bees)
- A Very British Garden (I am still writing this talk. Contact me for more information!)
Talks are 50-60 minutes plus q&a. I can provide my own projector.
Cost of My Talks
My speaker fee is £95 for groups and clubs.
Concessions are available for smaller clubs of 25 people or less.
Travel expenses can be discussed, but I travel all over the UK to speak and will do my best to make this cost manageable for both your group and myself.
Who I Talk To
- Gardening Clubs
- Horticultural Societies
- Beekeeper Groups
- Allotment Societies
- Church Groups
- Anyone else who needs an entertaining, informative speaker!
“Thank you so much Darren. Your talk was much appreciated and enjoyed by our members.” Benfleet Horticultural Society
To book a talk or to find out more, please do contact me now.
Rosybee, the brilliant plant nursery in Oxford who focus on plants for bees, have published the results of their studies. After 5 years of testing plants and counting honeybees you can see the top performers here… Best Plants For Bees Study We interviews Rosi, the owner of Rosybee nursery years back when she started. Do take a read as it offers great advice on the thought that went towards making life as easy as possible for a start-up nursery. Especially one with such an important mission! Interview With Rosybee As you can see, the top plants for the honeybee are …
Balmoral Cottage is open! The Yellow Book is back for 2019! My mentor Charlotte Molesworth is opening her garden on several days through April, May and September. And you should definitely go see it! It is amazing! Visit Balmoral Cottage here. The garden is full of topiary and plant treasures. You can see some of the photos here from an article in the Guardian. If you see me there (and you likely will, as I’ll be clipping!) come and say hi! Darren
Microbz is a brand we have been using in the garden for a couple of years now. It is a product made by a company who send a bottle of beneficial microbes, that you mix with water and this addition of ‘life’ helps your soil to improve. (Note – at Microbz there is currently a sale on here. Worth a first try at this price, so you can see the difference for yourself!) Have You Heard About Beneficial Microbes? You may have heard of the health benefits of beneficial microbes for your guts (what a word that is) but these microbes are …