THE MODERN MINT BLOG
My name is Darren Lerigo. I am a gardener and topiary artist and I provide garden talks for clubs all over the UK – and now via Zoom as well!
With my talks, I hope to:
- Provide your group with something interesting, informative and fun.
- Make your life as easy as possible. I will do this by turning up on time, bringing equipment that works, making sure the fee and travel expenses are good value for your group and giving a talk that makes your group happy they have come to see it.
- Speak as lightly and clearly as possible, without making it a dry lecture.
- Do my best to cover at the last minute, if your speaker is unable to make the talk.
Here is a small selection of what people say about my talks:
“Many thanks for a great talk (as usual!) I have had 26 emails today saying how much they enjoyed your talk.” Langham Beekeepers
“Thank you so much, it was an excellent presentation which everyone enjoyed very much.
I think you passion for gardening shone through and you delivered your talk with great fluency, humour and knowledge. Everyone I spoke to afterwards was very impressed.
Perhaps you could send me details of your other talks and which date you would prefer?” Holywell and Needingworth Garden Club
“Everyone enjoyed your talk. There was quite a buzz!” Oddfellows Group, Suffolk
I have extensive experience, giving over 50 talks per year, as well as speaking at Blenheim Palace and The National Flower Show, running topiary workshops, leading garden tours and for EBKA giving the Ted Hooper Memorial Lecture.
- What Do I Do With This Space? (Ideas on garden design and maintenance)
- Diluted (How to cope with excessive heat and a lack of rain on our gardens)
- Clippings (Making topiary and how to use it in the garden)
- Helping The Honeybee (Sharing the very best garden plants for bees)
- A Very British Garden (Ideas for plants that suit a British garden)
Talks are 50-60 minutes plus q&a. I can provide my own projector.
Cost of My Talks
My speaker fee is £120 for groups and clubs.
Concessions are available for smaller clubs of 25 people or less.
For Zoom talks, the cost is £75.
Travel expenses can be discussed, but I travel all over the UK to speak and will do my best to make this cost manageable for both your group and myself.
Who I Talk To
- Gardening Clubs
- Horticultural Societies
- Beekeeper Groups
- Allotment Societies
- Church Groups
- Anyone else who needs an entertaining, informative speaker!
“Thank you so much Darren. Your talk was much appreciated and enjoyed by our members.” Benfleet Horticultural Society
To book a talk or to find out more, please do contact me now.
Brought By Bike is an excellent website I found last month, where businesses offer their services by (of course) bicycle. Modern Mint and my topiary work is now live on the site offering my topiary services, via bike, to the following two postcodes – CM1 CM2 Now I can imagine I will need to borrow a ladder should anyone have a larger shrub, but most town gardens in the Chelmsford area have a need not just for privacy but to let light into the house… so a balance must be struck when shaping hedges and shrubs to cover both needs. …
Transforming Topiary – a video made for the European Boxwood And Topiary Society by Charlotte Molesworth and I, in her garden. We take a dog topiary and work out how to update it, turning it into a bird. Worth a watch I think, and hopefully useful to you! You can see more of my clipping on the topiary page. Or read my Spring 2021 Topiary Provocation here.
Phillyrea is one of my favourite plants for topiary. I have been using it for quite a few years as a specimen shrub, mostly due to the fact it clips well and has a tough habit – all good characteristics for a topiary plant. It also has a reputation for being an excellent nectar source for bees… Read more about Phillyrea here. Mentioning this to Malcolm Thicke, a market garden historian and writer, he sent me a some photos of topiary and phillyrea mentioned by John Worlidge in Systema Horticulturae from 1682…. incredible! He also mentioned to me that in …