THE MODERN MINT BLOG
My name is Darren Lerigo. I am a gardener and topiary artist and I provide garden talks for clubs all over the UK – and now via Zoom as well!
With my talks, I hope to:
- Provide your group with something interesting, informative and fun.
- Make your life as easy as possible. I will do this by turning up on time, bringing equipment that works, making sure the fee and travel expenses are good value for your group and giving a talk that makes your group happy they have come to see it.
- Speak as lightly and clearly as possible, without making it a dry lecture.
- Do my best to cover at the last minute, if your speaker is unable to make the talk.
Here is a small selection of what people say about my talks:
“Many thanks for a great talk (as usual!) I have had 26 emails today saying how much they enjoyed your talk.” Langham Beekeepers
“Thank you so much, it was an excellent presentation which everyone enjoyed very much.
I think you passion for gardening shone through and you delivered your talk with great fluency, humour and knowledge. Everyone I spoke to afterwards was very impressed.
Perhaps you could send me details of your other talks and which date you would prefer?” Holywell and Needingworth Garden Club
“Everyone enjoyed your talk. There was quite a buzz!” Oddfellows Group, Suffolk
I have extensive experience, giving over 50 talks per year, as well as speaking at Blenheim Palace and The National Flower Show, running topiary workshops, leading garden tours and for EBKA giving the Ted Hooper Memorial Lecture.
- What Do I Do With This Space? (Ideas on garden design and maintenance)
- Diluted (How to cope with excessive heat and a lack of rain on our gardens)
- Clippings (Making topiary and how to use it in the garden)
- Helping The Honeybee (Sharing the very best garden plants for bees)
- A Very British Garden (Ideas for plants that suit a British garden)
Talks are 50-60 minutes plus q&a. I can provide my own projector.
Cost of My Talks
My speaker fee is £120 for groups and clubs.
Concessions are available for smaller clubs of 25 people or less.
For Zoom talks, the cost is £75.
Travel expenses can be discussed, but I travel all over the UK to speak and will do my best to make this cost manageable for both your group and myself.
Who I Talk To
- Gardening Clubs
- Horticultural Societies
- Beekeeper Groups
- Allotment Societies
- Church Groups
- Anyone else who needs an entertaining, informative speaker!
“Thank you so much Darren. Your talk was much appreciated and enjoyed by our members.” Benfleet Horticultural Society
To book a talk or to find out more, please do contact me now.
Over the last two years I have been involved with a couple of projects that have ended up being recorded, then placed on Youtube or Instagram. I’m hoping they will be useful to you, so I have decided this morning to pop them together in one handy blog post so that you can bookmark the page and revisit when you need some inspiration for your topiary. See below then, a few videos about topiary I have recently been involved with… Garden Masterclass – Provocations of a Modern Topiarist Transforming Topiary Topiary Teacher Put On The Spot https://www.instagram.com/p/CTj-EfOKRL6/ In the above …
Mark Zlotsky is an artist based in New York, and today I just wanted to share his project ‘Topiary Tango’. In his introduction to the project he talks of topiary being a forgiving art, which I love and is soooooo true…..! For proof, just take a look at some projects I have made with a sharp pair of shears, a hedgetrimmer and a pruning saw. Do check out Mark Zlotsky’s project, because although his interest began by looking at topiary through the prism of architecture and the relationship of one building to another, he touches directly onto a way of …
Gardenista, the online magazine about gardens and design, have interviewed me about topiary. The article is called ‘Rethinking Topiary: A Garden Tradition Loosened Up’ and was published this morning. Written by the excellent garden writer Clare Coulson, I share some thoughts on using deciduous plants, how to clip (name-dropping Anne Lamott and her book on writing at one stage… oh, how I wander off subject sometimes!) and how to improve topiary by what you plant around it. Do take a look at the article in Gardenista. Or for more about my topiary work, check out the topiary page.