THE MODERN MINT BLOG
My name is Darren Lerigo. I am a gardener and topiary artist and I provide garden talks for clubs all over the UK.
With my talks, I hope to:
- Provide your group with something interesting, informative and fun.
- Make your life as easy as possible. I will do this by turning up on time, bringing equipment that works, making sure the fee and travel expenses are good value for your group and giving a talk that makes your group happy they have come to see it.
- Speak as lightly and clearly as possible, without making it a dry lecture.
- Do my best to cover at the last minute, if your speaker is unable to make the talk.
Here is a small selection of what people say about my talks:
“Many thanks for a great talk (as usual!) I have had 26 emails today saying how much they enjoyed your talk.” Langham Beekeepers
“Thank you so much, it was an excellent presentation which everyone enjoyed very much.
I think you passion for gardening shone through and you delivered your talk with great fluency, humour and knowledge. Everyone I spoke to afterwards was very impressed.
Perhaps you could send me details of your other talks and which date you would prefer?” Holywell and Needingworth Garden Club
“Everyone enjoyed your talk. There was quite a buzz!” Oddfellows Group, Suffolk
I have extensive experience, giving over 50 talks per year, as well as speaking at Blenheim Palace and The National Flower Show, running topiary workshops, leading garden tours and for EBKA giving the Ted Hooper Memorial Lecture.
- What Do I Do With This Space? (Ideas on garden design and maintenance)
- Diluted (How to cope with excessive heat and a lack of rain on our gardens)
- Cool Tools (Presenting the best tools to use in the garden)
- Helping The Honeybee (Sharing the very best garden plants for bees)
- A Very British Garden (Ideas for plants the suit a British garden)
Talks are 50-60 minutes plus q&a. I can provide my own projector.
Cost of My Talks
My speaker fee is £95 for groups and clubs.
Concessions are available for smaller clubs of 25 people or less.
Travel expenses can be discussed, but I travel all over the UK to speak and will do my best to make this cost manageable for both your group and myself.
Who I Talk To
- Gardening Clubs
- Horticultural Societies
- Beekeeper Groups
- Allotment Societies
- Church Groups
- Anyone else who needs an entertaining, informative speaker!
“Thank you so much Darren. Your talk was much appreciated and enjoyed by our members.” Benfleet Horticultural Society
To book a talk or to find out more, please do contact me now.
Just inc are you are free in the following dates in June, you can visit my mentor Charlotte Molesworth’s topiary garden… Check out the dates the garden is open here. And you can of course join both Charlotte and I for a topiary workshop in the garden in July, as well as September. Hope to see you there!
The Nunki weeder has been talked about by Jane Perrone in the newspaper (the Guardian, if you are interested. At the weekend.) She said this about our lovely weeding tool… “Getting on top of annual weeds such as hairy bittercress and speedwell can be tedious. The Nunki weeder has a curved blade that allows for precision work around plants….” There you go – a weeder for precision work, not an avocado destoner as someone once said to me. Take a closer look at the Nunki weeder now.
There has been some great articles around recently, what with the gardening season upon us and the Extinction Rebellion happening. I particularly liked this from Alys Fowler – Turn Your Lawn Into A Meadow “(Most lawns) are biodiversity deserts… and worse still, we pursue this. There are aisles in garden centres promising ever-greener sward, with no moss and weeds. Let there be no misunderstanding; these are chemicals that silence the soil.” Raise your mower height. Don’t cut until June. Then just once a month afterwards. Love that advice. And it is saving petrol for your mower too! This article also …