THE MODERN MINT BLOG
Earth Friendly Gardening Books
Modern Mint are thrilled to announce we now have a collection of Earth Friendly Gardening Books now in stock!
Written by the brilliant and award winning gardener John Walker (who gave us a fantastic interview on this blog last year) we can now offer you the following titles in his oeuvre…
The Brand New Book ‘Weeds’
The Practical ‘How To Create An Eco Garden’
2 Book Collection of Essays ‘Digging Deep’
Click on the photos above to read more about what makes these books such a worthwhile read… or visit the Modern Mint Shop.
If you want a quick run-down of why these books are such a worthwhile purchase, then see below:
- They offer practical advice that you can actually take action on at home in your own garden.
- The writer, John Walker, is an award winning writer who knows how to tell a story well – especially when it comes to earth friendly gardening!
- If this beautiful earth of ours is to be made even better, the ideas these books showcase need to be acknowledged.
- They are great value and can easily be popped into a bag, suitcase or even a pocket for reading on holiday. We often take them on the train with us into London, as they fit neatly into the back pocket of our jeans, making it easy to carry around.
- They make a fantastic gift for a friend – so don’t be shy in buying one!
I Only Have Enough Money for 1 Book – Which is Best?
They are all good, honestly, but the best if you are on a budget is ‘How To Create an Eco Garden.’ It is packed full of useful information and is a lovely, weighty book to hold in the hand. It includes lots of illustrations too.
— BioRisings (@HedgehogTorfaen) August 19, 2016
(As a bonus, The Digging Deep books would be our second choice, as they are full of wit and really get you thinking. Buy Digging Deep the Collection here.)
We are fans of effective microbes, and use the in our topiary work. They help keep plants healthy, meaning the plants have more tools in their toolbox and energy in their lives to stave off any diseases. Here is a lovely article that tells you how to make your own microbes. Right at the end. Make Your Own Microbes
Boxwood is one of our absolute favourite plants. The evergreen leaf that shines in winter, the smell as you clip it, the brilliant shapes you can make from it… but it is suffering somewhat from two major problems: Box Blight Boxwood Caterpillar and Moth None of this is the be all and end all for boxwood, but it helps to be aware of it and know a little about what you can do should either of these problems arise. Boxwood Caterpillar & Moth I hadn’t seen this in a garden I worked on until this spring, when a client I …
Last weekend I visited the National Fruit Collection at Brogdale, to take part in an orchard design course they were running. Beautiful place and a warm day, I recommend a visit. I came home with 3 bottles of cider. Drank them all. Then realised they were weighing in at 8%. I don’t recover that quickly (no longer being 20 years old) and so had something of a musty head the next morning. The power of apples I say! Below are some notes I made from the day. They may be of use to you, although really they are there for …