THE MODERN MINT BLOG
The Ten Best Tomatoes To Sow Right Now
This list will give you a chance to get away from the rightly popular, but very ubiquitous, Gardeners Delight variety of tomatoes and try something different – as well as tasty!
All of the seeds can be bought from the wonderful wonderful wonderful Real Seeds – do support them in their work…!
- Grushovska – big pink tomatoes, very tasty
- Aurora – from Siberia (yes, really!) Makes great sauces and germinates well at low temperatures.
- Tangerine – as the name suggests, it is a brilliant orange.
- Farenheit – this tomato must be seen to be believed! The fruit starts off as blue, then turns red, then black. Harvest at the purple-cherry-red stage. The purveyors of this tomato seed, Real Seeds, describe the taste as boring – “like a supermarket tomato.” Worth growing for the colour though.
- Chadwick Cherry – developed by Shakespearian actor turned Biodynamic market gardener, Alan Chadwick. Eccentric fellow, great tasting tomato.
- Millefleur – a bit different, as the tomatoes grow in grape-like clusters on a single truss two feet wide. Guaranteed to get the neighbours asking where you got it from…
- Orange Banana – a tomato salad needs lots of colour, and this plum tomato will look great with a little chopped up basil.
- Feo de Rio Gordo – a BIG TOMATO. From Seville, this translates as ugly, fat river. But then names aren’t everything.
- Green Zebra – it really is ripe when green and striped! Created in 1983 by Tom Wagner, who has been breeding tomatoes and potatoes for decades. Another yummy variety of tomato for your greenhouse.
- Tomatillo – related to the tomato, used to make chutneys, salsas and pasta sauces. From Central America.
There you have it – get sowing these wonderful varieties of tomato for something a little different to try on your plate at the end of summer.
All tomatoes featured are from the brilliant seed company Real Seeds.
We now have everything back in stock on the pruning tools front – hurray! Take a look at what you might like for doing any cutting and clipping this Autumn…. Also, please note the following: We Are Away From Wednesday 12th September, Until Thursday 20th September, So No Orders Will Be Sent Out During This Time! Is that ok? If you do make an order and then realise we won’t be sending it out, then we will send you a refund when we get back. Just let us know via email what you prefer. Otherwise, we will send out the …
Sorry to people asking for some of our pruning tools, but we have run out of a few items and are waiting for more to arrive. I did a number of garden talks this week and demonstrated the quality of some of the tools. This led to a run which I hadn’t anticipated! So apologies again if you are missing out, but everything should be back in stock by next week. Many thanks for all your support here at Modern Mint! Darren
A brand new garden talk for 2019? My, what exciting news! Having had a busy summer, with the topiary work exploding after the Guardian article, I have plans to write a new garden talk for next year. So far I have written 6 different talks in the 4 years I have been running Modern Mint, 4 of which are still available for you to book. They are: What Do I Do With This Space? A garden talk that looks at how other cultures treat their outdoor spaces. A mixture of funny stories and practical advice, it shares techniques people from …